Science week in Coláiste Muire
Next week is Science Week. We are celebrating it with a range of activities.
On Monday all TY students will attend coding workshops in the school.
On Tuesday there will be a science treasure hunt for First Years.
Second Years will take part in a paper plane flying competition which will be held during science and PE classes throughout the week.
There will be science movies, factory visits and a science photography competition throughout the week which will involve most of the rest of the students.
Transition Year students complete their Outdoor Adventure week
Transition Year students have completed their Outdoor Adventure week in Kerry. Students were based in two centres in Aghadoe and Cappanalea. They took part in activities such as kayaking, abseiling, campcraft, raft building and navigation.
All students camped out on Thursday night before returning home on Friday. See more here
New Junior Certificate
The following links contain information on the new Junior Cycle which will be of interest to parents.
Well-being week 9th- 13th October
Well-being week will take place in Coláiste Muire between 9th-13th October. A team of Transition Year students have been put in place by the guidance team to coordinate the programme. More details will follow. See details of last year’s health promotion week here.
See programme here: Well-being week
After-school programme for First Year students 2017/18
First year students have been participating in an After-school programme which combines extra-curricular activities with supervised study.
Teachers, with the assistance of Transition Year students have put the programme together. Over 50% of students have taken part in the programme so far. See the schedule and FAQs below.
|Session 1 (3.35-4.45)||Basketball (girls)||Film club||GAA (girls)||Yoga (mixed)|
|Soccer (boys)||Computers/Robotics||Basketball (boys)||Rugby (boys)|
|Supervised study||Supervised study||Supervised study||Supervised study|
|Session 2 (5.00 – 6.00)||Supervised study||Supervised study||Supervised study||Supervised study|
Health Promotion week 2017
Health Promotion week took place in Coláiste Muire from Monday 15th to Friday 19th May. Here are some of the highlights
- First year students went on a fun walk
- Transition Year students attended a presentation themed” Your Health Your Choice” by the Maire Keating foundation. The key areas of the talk were giving up smoking, eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight, exercise, avoiding exposure to the sun and sunbeds, reducing alcohol consumption
- Healthy breakfasts in the morning for staff and students
- Beat the Blues talk for fifth year students dealing with issues relating to Good Mental Health
- Internet Safety Talk for all First Year and Second Year students
- Second Year Tour based on Water sports theme – all day
- Wheelchair Basketball Tournament between students and teachers
- Visit from students from Cope whom will be hosted by a selection of Transition year students.
- Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Year students attended a talk from Caroline Crotty Psychotherapist and John Lonergan former governor of Mount Joy Prison.
- A talk was organised for Parents from on Issues relating to Parenting delivered by Caroline Crotty and John Lonergan
- Health & Fitness – Fun Gym Session for junior students
- Future is Food “ Food Fair “ hosted by Fourth Year students .All profits went to “Save Our Spire” Campaign