Health Promotion week 2017
Health Promotion week took place in Coláiste Muire from Monday 15th to Friday 19th May. Here are some of the highlights
- First year students went on a fun walk
- Transition Year students attended a presentation themed” Your Health Your Choice” by the Maire Keating foundation. The key areas of the talk were giving up smoking, eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight, exercise, avoiding exposure to the sun and sunbeds, reducing alcohol consumption
- Healthy breakfasts in the morning for staff and students
- Beat the Blues talk for fifth year students dealing with issues relating to Good Mental Health
- Internet Safety Talk for all First Year and Second Year students
- Second Year Tour based on Water sports theme – all day
- Wheelchair Basketball Tournament between students and teachers
- Visit from students from Cope whom will be hosted by a selection of Transition year students.
- Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Year students attended a talk from Caroline Crotty Psychotherapist and John Lonergan former governor of Mount Joy Prison.
- A talk was organised for Parents from on Issues relating to Parenting delivered by Caroline Crotty and John Lonergan
- Health & Fitness – Fun Gym Session for junior students
- Future is Food “ Food Fair “ hosted by Fourth Year students .All profits went to “Save Our Spire” Campaign
Coláiste Muire local history exhibition and Food Fair – Friday, May 19th 2017
Transition Year students complete Soccer coaching course
Congratulations to the twenty three TY students who have qualified as soccer coaches. The students completed their “Kickstart 1” certification following an intensive programme.
Evening talk for parents – Thursday 18th May
As part of our Health Promotion Week 2017, Coláiste Muire, Crosshaven will host a talk for parents of our students. The talk will be held in the Assembly Hall of Coláiste Muire on Thursday, 18th May at 7.00 p.m. The guest speakers are Psychotherapist Caroline Crotty and Ex-Governor of Mount Joy John Lonergan The theme of the evening is “The Challenges and Rewards of Parenting”. John and Caroline will focus on a number of important issues facing parents of children of all ages. The main points will include our relationship with modern technology and social media and the dangers to our children. They will also talk about the importance of good communication.
It promises to be a very enjoyable and informative evening.
Coláiste Muire students travels to India with the Hope Foundation
Transition Year student, Danú Ní Thuama travelled to India with The Hope Foundation for six days over the Easter Holidays. Danú raised €2,500 for the Hope Foundation throughout the year, including and she got the opportunity to go and visit the projects relating to her fundraising.
Each day she visited different projects ran by or supported by the Hope Foundation. She visited crêches, protection homes, rehab homes,schools,a hospital and a disability home. She met amazing people from all different backgrounds throughout the week. Danú would highly recommend anybody who can, to go and help with the Hope Foundation at some point in their life because it was by far the best experience that she has had..
Killarney cycling and hiking trips
Transition Year students visited Killarney national park for the second time this month. Students were split into two groups. One group hiked around Torc mountain. They were guided by Richard Morrison from Morrison tours. The other group cycled around Muckross Lake. Students were guided by Jay Scully. Jay introduced the students to the geography, flora and fauna associated with the park.
TY students win media award
Congratulations to Maeve O Herlihy, Lia Murphy and Lia Berkery Kelly who came second place from 700 entries in a competition in conjunction with drugs.ie
The wrote an article entitled “what do some young people use drugs”.
They carried out a survey in the school to collect data and student opinion on the subject matter
Many thanks to Pam O’Connell and Ms Gleeson Walsh for their involvement in the competition.
Find out more about the competition here.
Ag Féachaint Siar ar Seachtain na Gaeilge 2017
Rinne daltaí ón idirbhliain an físeán seo chun féachaint siar ar an craic agus spraoi a bhí againn go léir sa scoil i rith Seachtain na Gaeilge. Comhghairdeas do na daltaí a ghlac páirt sa físeán agus do na daltaí a d’oibrigh air.